In an effort to create and in some cases improve green spaces in and around the City of Kingston, the Kingston & St. Andrew Municipal Corporation under the leadership of His Worship the Mayor Senator Delroy Williams, has sought to develop different properties owned by the Council to improve such green spaces. Currently, one such project which commenced in November 2018, is the Duhaney Park Recreational Grounds which is located adjacent to the Duhaney Park Plaza.
So far, the park has been 80% developed. It is now equipped with:
- A children’s park inclusive of a jungle gym, swing, two tables with seating to facilitate dominoes, draft, etc., a table tennis table.
- Fully bricked parking area which also serves as a multi-purpose space to facilitate hosting events etc.
- A fully bricked walkway which runs from Columbus Drive to Duhaney Drive
- A fully bricked jogging trail
- Four planter boxes with seating areas
- Increased lighting through the installation of solar lamps and two additional street lights.
To bring the project to completion, landscaping will be done to the area to create a uniformed lawn/green area. Four black olive trees will be transplanted from the St. William Grant Park to the project site, so as to add additional shaded areas for persons to utilize.The expected completion date is July 31, 2020.